Karnataka setting up rehab centre for HIV-AIDS children
Bangalore: Karnataka Government would set up a rehabilitation centre on a 250-acre plot near the district headquarters town of Belgaum for HIV-AIDS affected children, Medical Education Minister S A Ramadass said Wednesday.
Speaking at the release of a documentary here, he said 300 such children have already been identified and hoped the centre would become operational by next month.
The rehabilitation centre is a first-of-its-kind in the country, Ramadass said.
The Minister said 14 legislators have adopted HIV-AIDS affected children, adding, the Government plans to undertake a programme next month by which all the 300 legislators -- 225 MLAs and 75 MLCs -- would adopt such kids.
He said Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad has agreed to provide five "Red Buses" to the State. These buses with all medical facilities, doctor and nurse would be utilised to provide treatment to the affected at their door-step.
The documentary on Men having sex with Men (MSM) and transgender community was released by Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda.
Titled "Me, My Self, My Gender", the documentary is produced by journalists Maya Jaideep and Kestur Vasuki.
It is based on research done by the community on a joint project by Mysore-based Ashodaya Samiti and Manitoba University in Canada and deals with lives of MSM in Mysore, Belgaum and Bellary districts of Karnataka.
The documentary deconstructs the western myths and concept of gays by bringing vivid aspects of their lives, Maya said.
Vasuki said, "The social relationships, religion and their acceptance, their love life, search for an identity, the struggle to be part of the mainstream, their struggle for survival facing oppression and coming out as unique individuals is the crux of the film".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city