Karnataka setting up rehab centre for HIV-AIDS children
Bangalore: Karnataka Government would set up a rehabilitation centre on a 250-acre plot near the district headquarters town of Belgaum for HIV-AIDS affected children, Medical Education Minister S A Ramadass said Wednesday.
Speaking at the release of a documentary here, he said 300 such children have already been identified and hoped the centre would become operational by next month.
The rehabilitation centre is a first-of-its-kind in the country, Ramadass said.
The Minister said 14 legislators have adopted HIV-AIDS affected children, adding, the Government plans to undertake a programme next month by which all the 300 legislators -- 225 MLAs and 75 MLCs -- would adopt such kids.
He said Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad has agreed to provide five "Red Buses" to the State. These buses with all medical facilities, doctor and nurse would be utilised to provide treatment to the affected at their door-step.
The documentary on Men having sex with Men (MSM) and transgender community was released by Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda.
Titled "Me, My Self, My Gender", the documentary is produced by journalists Maya Jaideep and Kestur Vasuki.
It is based on research done by the community on a joint project by Mysore-based Ashodaya Samiti and Manitoba University in Canada and deals with lives of MSM in Mysore, Belgaum and Bellary districts of Karnataka.
The documentary deconstructs the western myths and concept of gays by bringing vivid aspects of their lives, Maya said.
Vasuki said, "The social relationships, religion and their acceptance, their love life, search for an identity, the struggle to be part of the mainstream, their struggle for survival facing oppression and coming out as unique individuals is the crux of the film".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic