Keep your kitchen airy for safer lungs
Beijing: Quitting smoking may not be enough to improve your lung function if your cooking fuel is not clean and ventilation in the kitchen is not proper, research says.
“Substituting biogas for biomass fuel for cooking and improving kitchen ventilation could lead to a reduction of the global burden of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease that makes breathing difficult), especially in non-industrialised nations," said the study led by Pixin Ran from the Guanzhou Medical University, China.
The researchers followed 996 villagers from southern China for nine years to examine the effects of cleaner fuels and better kitchen ventilation on lung function and disease.
For this study, the researchers offered nearly 1,000 participants from 12 villages access to biogas - a combustible clean fuel made by composting biomass at room temperature in a biogas digester - and improved kitchen ventilation, and people adopted these interventions according to their preferences.
The participants provided details about their lifestyle and had their lung function measured both at the outset of the study and at its end nine years later, and some were also interviewed and examined three and six years into the study.
The researchers found that people who adopted both improvements performed even better in lung function tests, and they were also less likely to develop COPD.
The study appeared in the journal PLOS Medicine.
Globally, indoor air pollution led to 4.3 million deaths, of which 34 percent were caused by strokes, 26 percent heart diseases and 12 percent respiratory disease in children in 2012, according to the recent World Health Organisation (WHO) report.
In India, around 1.3 million people died of indoor air pollution in 2010 whereas death because of outdoor air pollution was around 6.2 lakh, acording to a global report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers