Kerala govt unveils new health schemes
Thiruvananthapuram: The Congress-led UDF government in Kerala today launched new health schemes, including free treatment in government hospitals for those upto the age of 18 years, to mark the completion of two years in office.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy unveiled the schemes at a function organised here.
All people in the Above Poverty Line and Below Poverty Line categories are eligible for free treatment under the new scheme, being implemented with the Centre`s assistance.
However, wards of income tax payees, government employees and those drawing pension would not be entitled for the benefit.
In an another major initiative, the government decided to extend distribution of generic medicines free-of-cost in government hospitals from August 15, currently implemented only in five medical colleges and general hospitals.
The list of medicines available free of cost as part of this project would be displayed at respective hospitals and a doctor appointed as nodal officer to ensure availability.
Government would also expand the Cochlear implantation project which aims to benefit all children suffering from speech and hearing impairment.
A total of 200 operations have been performed after the project initiated last year at a total cost of Rs 10 crore.
Similarly, the comprehensive health insurance scheme, now being extended to BPL category, has been expanded by including more categories of people, an official release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Amjad Sabri laid to rest amid tears, thousands attend Karachi funeral
- Euro 2016: Wayne Rooney and Roy Hodgson seek more ruthless from England against Iceland
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker