Kerala ready to battle dengue as monsoon arrives
Thiruvananthapuram: Doctors are gearing up to combat the rising number of dengue cases here, as the arrival of monsoon results in a surge in such cases.
A Faseelathu Beevi, medical superintendent at the state run general hospital, told reporters on Friday that with the onset of monsoon there has been a significant rise in the number of patients suffering from the deadly disease.
“As of today the important variety that is being reported is the dengue outbreak. The routine viral cases do happen, but we are giving a lot of importance to dengue cases because we have to also monitor the platelet counts.”
Beevi added that all necessary arrangements were made at all hospitals to prevent the escalation of the disease.
“We are taking all possible steps to counter the situation. Separate fever wards have been set up in medical colleges and general hospitals, and even at the PHC level doctors are there. Doctors are going the extra mile to ensure that the outbreak is contained. So far, the mortality is strictly within control,” Beevi said.
Beevi urged the people to rush ailing patients to the hospital without delay.
Local medical authorities have come out with public awareness campaigns giving several guidelines with precautionary measures.
The disease is not spread from person to person but only through bite of an infected mosquito. Symptoms for dengue include sudden onset of a flu-like illness with fever, muscle pain, headache and rashes.
There is no vaccine or drug to prevent or treat disease, and unlike for malaria where people can take medication to prevent infection, there is no drug prevention option for dengue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in