Kerala ready to battle dengue as monsoon arrives
Thiruvananthapuram: Doctors are gearing up to combat the rising number of dengue cases here, as the arrival of monsoon results in a surge in such cases.
A Faseelathu Beevi, medical superintendent at the state run general hospital, told reporters on Friday that with the onset of monsoon there has been a significant rise in the number of patients suffering from the deadly disease.
“As of today the important variety that is being reported is the dengue outbreak. The routine viral cases do happen, but we are giving a lot of importance to dengue cases because we have to also monitor the platelet counts.”
Beevi added that all necessary arrangements were made at all hospitals to prevent the escalation of the disease.
“We are taking all possible steps to counter the situation. Separate fever wards have been set up in medical colleges and general hospitals, and even at the PHC level doctors are there. Doctors are going the extra mile to ensure that the outbreak is contained. So far, the mortality is strictly within control,” Beevi said.
Beevi urged the people to rush ailing patients to the hospital without delay.
Local medical authorities have come out with public awareness campaigns giving several guidelines with precautionary measures.
The disease is not spread from person to person but only through bite of an infected mosquito. Symptoms for dengue include sudden onset of a flu-like illness with fever, muscle pain, headache and rashes.
There is no vaccine or drug to prevent or treat disease, and unlike for malaria where people can take medication to prevent infection, there is no drug prevention option for dengue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry