Kerala records rise in cancer cases in 30 years
Thiruvananthapuram: There has been a 280 percent rise in cancer patients in the past three decades in Kerala, reveals a study by the Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) here.
"In the past one decade, there has been a 50 per cent growth itself and every year there are 25,000 new cancer patients in the state," revealed the study.
Incidentally, the only full-fledged cancer centre in Kerala is the RCC, while the Malabar Cancer Centre in Kannur district is as yet only partially operational.
Eminent cancer specialist V.P. Gangadharan said the need of the hour is to start more number of oncology centres across the state.
"The RCC today serves cancer patients from across the state. A new specialised cancer centre has to be set up in Kochi as it would help patients all over the state because it is located in the centre of the state," said Gangadharan.
The study revealed that breast cancer accounted for 11 per cent cases in the past three decades, while thyroid cancer came next among women, while among men, lung cancer accounted for 20 percent of cancer patients, followed by stomach cancer cases.
Another medical professional, Sanal Kumar pointed out -- what the state lacks in is research institutions to tackle increasing incidences of cancer.
"We have to set up institutions to meet the needs of cancer patients because research and development are of prime importance. Also we should have centres where training is given for nurses and medical professionals to treat cancer patients," said Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog