Key protein in cancer drug development essential for heart health
Washington: Researchers at St. Jude Children`s Research Hospital have discovered that a protein used by cancer cells to evade death also plays a vital role in heart health.
This dual role complicates efforts to develop cancer drugs that target the protein, but may lead to new therapies for heart muscle damage.
The protein, MCL1, is currently the focus of widespread cancer drug development efforts.
MCL1 is best known as an inhibitor of death via the cell`s suicide pathway in a process called apoptosis.
The protein is elevated in a variety of cancers, and a number of MCL1 inhibitors are in the cancer drug development pipeline worldwide.
The protein has also been linked to drug resistance in cancer patients. Until now, however, MCL1`s role in heart muscle cells was unclear.
"Our study shows that MCL1 is required for normal cardiac function and that the protein may be critical in protecting the heart from apoptosis," Joseph Opferman, Ph.D., an associate member of the St. Jude Department of Biochemistry and the paper`s corresponding author, said.
The results also have implications for treating heart muscle damage following heart attacks or other insults.
While limiting MCL1 in cancer cells might aid in destroying them, providing higher levels of the protein in heart muscle cells might benefit a patient recovering from a heart attack or other heart damage.
The research is published in the scientific journal Genes and Development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says