Key protein in cancer drug development essential for heart health
Washington: Researchers at St. Jude Children`s Research Hospital have discovered that a protein used by cancer cells to evade death also plays a vital role in heart health.
This dual role complicates efforts to develop cancer drugs that target the protein, but may lead to new therapies for heart muscle damage.
The protein, MCL1, is currently the focus of widespread cancer drug development efforts.
MCL1 is best known as an inhibitor of death via the cell`s suicide pathway in a process called apoptosis.
The protein is elevated in a variety of cancers, and a number of MCL1 inhibitors are in the cancer drug development pipeline worldwide.
The protein has also been linked to drug resistance in cancer patients. Until now, however, MCL1`s role in heart muscle cells was unclear.
"Our study shows that MCL1 is required for normal cardiac function and that the protein may be critical in protecting the heart from apoptosis," Joseph Opferman, Ph.D., an associate member of the St. Jude Department of Biochemistry and the paper`s corresponding author, said.
The results also have implications for treating heart muscle damage following heart attacks or other insults.
While limiting MCL1 in cancer cells might aid in destroying them, providing higher levels of the protein in heart muscle cells might benefit a patient recovering from a heart attack or other heart damage.
The research is published in the scientific journal Genes and Development.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged