Key protein in stem cell development discovered
London:Scientists have identified a protein that kick-starts the process by which stem cells can develop into different cells in the body, for instance liver or brain cells.
The discovery could help scientists improve techniques enabling them to turn stem cells into other cell types in the laboratory.
Scientists from the Medical Research Council Centre for Regenerative Medicine at the University of Edinburgh, who studied embryonic stem cells in mice, also developed a technique enabling them to highlight the presence of the key protein - Tcf15 - in the cells.
This means that researchers can identify which cells have the protein and watch how it affects stem cells in real time to gain a better understanding of how it works.
"This gives us better insight into the crucially important first step stem cells take to differentiate into other cell types. Understanding how and when this happens could help to improve the way in which we are able to control this process," Dr Sally Lowell, from the MRC Centre for Regenerative Medicine at the University of Edinburgh, said.
Researchers pinpointed the protein by looking at how some stem cells are naturally prevented from specialising into other cell types.
They found two sets of proteins, one of which binds to the other blocking them from carrying out their various functions.
They were then able to screen the blocked proteins to find out which ones would enable stem cells to differentiate.
The study was published in the journal Cell Reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui