Lab-grown cells restore eyesight in mice
London: Scientists have claimed that it is possible to grow the light-sensitive cells of the eye in a lab with the help of an artificial retina.
Photoreceptors of the eye were grown in the lab from stem cells and then they were transplanted into eyes of the blind mice where the cells fully integrated into the complex retinal tissue, the Independent reported.
So far, the scientists have been not been able to show any improvement in the vision of the blind mice but are confident that this will soon be possible in further experiments.
Professor Robin Ali of University College London, who led the research at the Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye Hospital, explained that the new technique may lead to stem cell transplants for improvement of the vision of thousands of people, who are suffering from degenerative eye disorders, which was caused by the progressive loss of photosensitive cells.
Ali and his team took stem cells from mouse embryos and with the help of an artificial retina growing in a laboratory dish grew them into light-sensitive rod cells, this allowed the rod cells to develop the complex 3D structure, which is important for them to function correctly.
The study has been published in the journal Nature Biotechnology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray