Lack of good night`s sleep a major health concern
London: Almost two-thirds of people struggle to get a good night`s rest, which according to a British research, constitutes a major public health concern.
Some 60 percent adults admit rarely getting the recommended six or seven hours of sleep every night.
More than a third suffer from insomnia, and many have battled with the condition for years. Doctors warn that sleeplessness leads to depression, lack of concentration and an inability to carry out simple tasks.
According to the findings of a major report, insomniacs are four times more likely to suffer from relationship problems, according to a leading English daily.
They are also three times more likely to have difficulties concentrating or be in a bad mood and twice as likely to have energy slumps.
A quarter of adults have other sleep-related problems such as teeth grinding or sleep apnea - a disorder characterised by abnormal pauses in breathing, which causes sufferers to wake up in the night.
Just 39 percent of people sleep well, according to the survey of 5,300 by the Mental Health Foundation in the UK.
It says children should be taught the health risks of lack of sleep at school and also recommends GPs are trained to better diagnose those with problems.
Andrew McCulloch of the Mental Health Foundation said: "Sleep has for too long been neglected as a major influence on the physical and mental health of the nation. It is crucial we treat the issue of sleep problems as the major public health concern it is."
Experts say adults need at least five hours` uninterrupted sleep every day to properly concentrate and function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice