Large intestine bugs play spoilsport in slimming
London: Bugs in our large intestine may be slowing down the activity of brown or `good fat` that quickly burns calories and keeps us slim.
Sandrine P. Claus and Jeremy K. Nicholson from Imperial College London decided to see how trillions of such bacteria, which inhabit the large intestine and aid in digestion, might affect brown fat.
Brown fat burns calories quickly before they can be stored and exists in small deposits in the neck area and elsewhere - not like "white fat" in flab around the waist and buttocks, the Journal of Proteome Research reports.
In experiments that compared "germ-free" (GF) mice, which don`t have large-intestine bacteria, and regular mice, the scientists uncovered evidence suggesting that the bacteria do influence the activity of brown fat, according to an Imperial College statement.
Brown fat in the GF mice seemed to be more active, burning calories faster than in regular mice. Large-intestine bacteria also seemed to be linked with gender differences in weight. Normal male mice were heavier and fatter than females, but those differences vanished in GF mice.
The research also uncovered major differences in the interactions between males and females and their intestinal bacteria that might help explain why the obesity epidemic is more serious and rapidly developing in women.
The discovery could open the way to prevent obesity and promote weight loss, including possible microbial and drug approaches.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata