Let your kids do gardening for a healthy future
Seoul: Gardening connects you to the nature and children too can reap the benefits of digging, raking and weeding, shows research.
The team studied 17 children as they engaged in 10 gardening tasks: digging, raking, weeding, mulching, hoeing, sowing seeds, harvesting, watering, mixing growing medium and planting transplants.
Results showed that the 10 gardening tasks represented moderate- to high-intensity physical activity for the children.
The study was conducted in South Korea in two garden environments - a high tunnel, and an outdoor area.
The children visited the gardens twice, and each child performed five different tasks during each visit.
They were given five minutes to complete each gardening task, and were allowed a five-minute rest between each task.
During the study, the children wore portable telemetric calorimeters and heart rate monitors so that researchers could measure their oxygen uptake, energy expenditure and heart rate.
Digging and raking were categorised as "high-intensity" physical activities, while tasks such as weeding, mulching, hoeing, sowing seeds, harvesting, watering and planting transplants were determined to be of "moderate-intensity".
The researchers say that the data can inform future development of garden-based programmes that help engage children in physical activity and promote healthy lifestyles.
The study, conducted by researchers at American Society for Horticultural Science, appeared in the journal HortTechnology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened