Leukemia drug may fight vascular disease
Washington: Scientists have found that a drug used to treat leukemia and skin disorders such as acne and psoriasis may be a possible therapy for vascular diseases, including atherosclerosis and hypertension, which can lead to heart attack or stroke.
The team led by Joseph M. Miano, associate director of the Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute at the University of Rochester Medical Center had identified a number of genes that were activated or turned on by retinoids, one of which was AKAP12.
Because research in the cancer field suggested it was a tumor suppressor gene, named for its ability to hinder cancer cell growth, Miano honed in on AKAP12 to see if it might be a target of retinoids in the context of vascular disease.
They found that a specific section of the complex AKAP12 gene, called AKAP12 beta, is extremely responsive to treatment with the drug, and that ramping up its activity reduces vascular cell growth.
“Several studies have shown that when this gene is turned on, it decreases the growth of cancer cells, but this is the first time anyone’s shown its ability to inhibit growth in non-cancer cells,” said Miano, the study’s lead author.
The study was published in the journal PLoS One.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'