Life expectancy for Chinese to hit 75.8 years by 2015
Beijing: The average life expectancy for Chinese will reach 75.8 years by 2015, one year longer than last year`s average of 74.8, according to an official health care development plan.
Public health has improved since the last Five-Year Plan period (2006-2011), with significant progress made in multiple health care sectors, according to the 12th five-year plan for health care development published today.
The study comes as Chinese policy makers and economists were publicly debating about the financial burden of China`s expanding pension schemes.
The current pension system sets the retirement age for males at 60 and 55 for female government employees and 50 for female workers. Studies showed heavy opposition for any extension of retirement age.
According to estimates the China is already saddled with demographic crisis.
At present about 13.26 per cent of China`s population are aged 60 or above at present numbering about 177 million.
According to recent studies China will be saddled with over 440 million old people in the next four decades.
The increase of old people disrupting the demographic cycle was largely blamed on the one child policy being adopted for the past three decades.
China`s population was expected to hit 1.45 billion in 2020 from the current 1.34 billion, according to official media reports.
According to a joint study by the Bank of China and Deutsche Bank, China`s aging population will leave it with a shortfall of 18.3 trillion yuan (about USD 2.90 billion) in pension funds by 2013 and create a heavy fiscal burden for the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow