Life expectancy for the overweight longer than slim: study
Tokyo: Life expectancy of overweight
people at the age of 40 is around six years longer than those
who are slim at the same age, a new study suggested today. It
also says that slimmer person have higher risk of
cardiovascular disease than others.
The study, conducted by researchers of Tohoku University
surveyed 44,000 people aged 40 to 79 in Miyagi Prefecture from
1995 to 2006, categorizing them into four groups based on
body-mass index (BMI). The slimmest were at a BMI below 18.5,
normal between 18.5 and 25.0, overweight weighed between 25.0
and 30.0, while obese were above 30.0.
Among those 40 years of age, the average remaining life
span is the longest for the overweight category, at 40.5
additional years for men and 47.0 for women, the study found.
The `normal` category was the next, at 38.7 years for men
and 46.3 for women, followed by the obese group at 37.9 years
for men and 44.9 for women.
According to the study, those categorized as slim have
the shortest life expectancy, at 33.8 years for men and 41.1
BMI is calculated by dividing weight (in kilograms) by
square height (in meters).
"Those who are too slim are reportedly said to be at
higher risk of cardiovascular disease and are more likely to
develop pneumonia as nutritional deficiency lowers their
resistive force," said Masato Nagai, a graduate student
involved in the research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands