Lifestyle disorders cause infertility in women
Changing lifestyle, smoking, erratic work routines and other lifestyle-related disorders are causing infertility among women, gynaecology experts said at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here Sunday.
"Women have switched to a faster lifestyle now. The stress is affecting their menstrual cycle and hormonal make-up, leading to infertility," said Abha Majumdar, director of the centre of Invitro human fertilisation (IVF) and human reproduction at Sir Ganga Ram hospital.
"Late marriages, mainly after 30 years of age, are another reason for infertility," she said.
Nearly 6-8 per cent couples are affected by infertility.
"Infertility is not considered as a life-threatening disease," said Suneeta Mittal, head of department of the premier institute`s obstetrics and gynecology department, at the third anniversary of the IVF unit at AIIMS.
"But the attention needs to be on it as there has been a lot of development and innovation on this front," she said.
"Social impact of childlessness is more in India. In western countries, the concept of IVF is widely used," Mittal said referring to the social stigma associated with childlessness in the country.
The technique used in IVF involves removing or harvesting eggs from a woman`s body and fertilising them in a laboratory. The woman is given hormone drugs to prepare her womb to receive the fertilised eggs that are then placed back inside the womb.
"Couples have deep misconceptions related to infertility. So they seek solutions from quacks. The point is that when we have advanced, dedicated IVF units in our country, why not popularise them," Majumdar pointed.
The symposium that saw participation from over 100 national and international experts included a live workshop on the latest techniques related to prevention, diagnosis, and early management of infertility such as assisted reproductive technology (ART).
Over 1,900 couples are enrolled with the IVF centre at AIIMS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org