Lizard’s heart `indistinguishable` from that of humans
Washington: Researchers have finally identified the genetic building blocks behind the human heart’s subtle control system.
An elaborate system of leads spreads across our hearts. These leads – the heart’s electrical system – control our pulse and coordinate contraction of the heart chambers.
While the structure of the human heart has been known for a long time, the evolutionary origin of our conduction system has nevertheless remained a mystery.
Researchers have finally succeeded in showing that the spongy tissue in reptile hearts is the forerunner of the complex hearts of both birds and mammals.
The new knowledge provides a deeper understanding of the complex conductive tissue of the human heart, which is of key importance in many heart conditions.
“The heart of a bird or a mammal – for example a human – pumps frequently and rapidly. This is only possible because it has electrically conductive tissue that controls the heart,” Bjarke Jensen, from Department of Bioscience, Aarhus University said.
“Until now, however, we haven’t been able to find conductive tissue in our common reptilian ancestors, which means we haven’t been able to understand how this enormously important system emerged,” he said.
Along with Danish colleagues and colleagues from the University of Amsterdam, he now reveals that the genetic building blocks for highly developed conductive tissue are actually hidden behind the thin wall in the spongy hearts of reptiles.
“We studied the hearts of cold-blooded animals like lizards, frogs and zebra fish, and we investigated the gene that determines which parts of the heart are responsible for conducting the activating current,” Dr Jensen.
“By comparing adult hearts from reptiles with embryonic hearts from birds and mammals, we discovered a common molecular structure that’s hidden by the anatomical differences,” he added.
The study has been published in the journal PLoS ONE.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed