Losing just 6kgs ``enough for big health gain``
Sydney: Losing just six kilograms results in a major health gain, says a new study.
Australian scientists said that obesity raises the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and some cancers.
It sparks damaging changes to immune systems, they added.
However, the new study showed that losing just six kilograms was enough to dramatically turn things around.
"We`ve found that a modest weight loss, of about six kilograms, is enough to bring the pro-inflammatory nature of circulating immune cells back to that found in lean people," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted study`s co-author Katherine Samaras as saying in a statement.
"These inflammatory cells are involved in promoting coronary artery disease and other illnesses associated with obesity.
"This is the first time it has been shown that modest weight reduction reverses some of the very adverse inflammatory changes we see in people with diabetes," she added.
To reach the conclusion, Samaras and her colleague studied the immune system functioning of obese people with type 2 diabetes or prediabetes who were put on a restricted calorie diet.
Study participants were limited to between 1000 to 1600 calories a day for 24 weeks, while they also had gastric banding surgery halfway through the trial to further restrict their food intake.
The research showed that only a small amount of weight loss could reap an 80 per cent reduction in these pro-inflammatory cells as well as other positive effects for the immune system.
Samaras said overall the study showed how even minor lifestyle changes could avert the development of life-threatening illness.
The study has been published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology Metabolism this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department