Low-calorie diet cures diabetes in 8 weeks
New Delhi: A successful trial has led scientists to believe that a 2-month low-calorie diet could free nearly 2.5 million Britons of the `type two` diabetes.
The diabetics, by consuming just 600 calories a day for eight-weeks, (the same amount many people would eat at lunch alone), were able to throw away their tablets.
Even after 18 months, some of them are still free of the disease, which is linked to obesity and usually attacks in middle age, reports the Daily Mail .
Researchers from the Newcastle University have described the results as remarkable, proving that the condition need not be a life sentence.
"To have people free of diabetes after years with the condition is remarkable and all because of an eight week diet. For many years it has been assumed that Type 2 diabetes is a life sentence. It`s chronic, it`s progressive, people need more and more tablets, and eventually they need insulin. It`s a downhill slope. However, we have been able to show that it is in fact reversible," Prof Roy Taylor, of Newcastle University, told the Daily Express.
According to the researchers, the trial also paves the way for new treatments for those who cannot stick to the drastic diet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!