Low-salt advice based on spurious science
Sydney: Scientists have slammed spurious science underlying advice that minimizing salt consumption lowers blood pressure, insisting it does not recognize the complex role of sodium in the body.
As Australian authorities consider slashing salt recommendations to even lower levels, the most comprehensive survey of salt intake in the US found consumption there had not changed in more than 40 years, despite the recent rise of low-sodium foods, and the average was at least 50 per cent higher than the recommended maximum, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.
As well, there was relatively little difference between the high and low ends of the salt intake spectrum - suggesting people naturally gravitate towards a similar amount of dietary salt, regardless of changes in food processing.
The research, led by the eminent Harvard researcher Walter Willett, re-analysed all studies between 1957 and 2003 that measured sodium levels in urine - a more accurate method than asking people what foods they ate.
Professor Willett said the finding that salt intake had not changed, while the prevalence of high blood pressure had risen, suggested the ````epidemic of obesity may be a more plausible determinant```` of high blood pressure rates than salt.
That study``s author, David McCarron, said taken together the research indicated blanket public recommendations to eat a low salt diet, aimed at all people and not just those at highest risk of heart disease, were ````doomed to failure````.
The finding has been published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- US presidential election takes shape; Trump, Clinton look all set for final battle
- This is how Jawahar Lal Nehru reacted when asked about rumours of his second marriage
- This picture of an IAS officer has gone viral on social media - know why
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016
- Four months after Pathankot terror attack, bodies of 4 terrorists buried