LRS Institute to have private ward facility
New Delhi: The LRS Institute of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases will now have private ward facility, the first for TB patients in government sector.
The private ward of the institute will be inaugurated tomorrow by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Ghulam Nabi Azad, officials said.
LRS Institute started out as a TB Hospital under the TB Association of India in 1956.
With renewed priority to TB control both nationally and globally, the government decided to upgrade the institute as an autonomous body directly under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in 1991. Since then, LRS has grown rapidly in patient care facilities, research activities and training programmes.
The institute has been active in fight against TB and was also part of the team which analysed the strengthening required in the National TB Control Programme of 1962 and subsequently, the development of the Revised National Control Programme (RNTCP) strategy.
With the emergence of Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis, the institute embarked on designing Programmatic Management of Drug Resistant TB (PMDT) for the country with Global MDR-TB Advisory Group`s (Green Light Committee) assistance in 2002.
The institute has been a part of all national policy decisions in tuberculosis, such as infection control policy, paediatric tuberculosis guidelines, operational research strategy, TB-HIV linkage, training of trainers and laboratory networking in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read