Magnets can help stroke patients speak
Sydney: Stimulating the brain with magnets is likely to improve the language skills of stroke survivors.
Researchers led by Caroline Barwood from the University of Queensland`s School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences found marked improvement in the language skills of stroke patients after they underwent Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS).
TMS is a non-invasive method that seeks to target brain activity to facilitate the
reorganisation of brain regions with the purpose to alter language behaviours, reports The European Journal of Neurology.
The treatment involves placing a coil on the participant`s head which uses electromagnetic induction to induce weak electric currents through a changing magnetic field, according to a university statement.
A group of patients that experienced strokes between one and six years prior to the study were recruited for participation and treated at the university`s Centre for Neurogenic Communication Disorders Research.
"Eighty percent of patients treated with TMS showed improvements in language skills, most notably in expressive language, which includes naming, repetition and discourse. No language improvements were seen for those treated with placebo TMS," Barwood said.
The researcher said changes in patients` language scores were measured on standardised speech pathology tests. "The research strongly demonstrates that TMS may be a very useful and safe treatment method," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks