Male menopause really does exist
New York: Menopause is not limited to women, it hits men too, say researchers.
Scientists at the Centre for Men’s Health in London say that women aren`t the only ones who have to worry about shifting hormones wrecking havoc as they age, men also suffer from andropause - a menopause-like condition – as they get older.
They found that 20 percent of the 10,000 men over 50 were affected by a hormonal imbalance, according to the Daily Mail.
Much like the fairer sex, men experience dips in hormone levels as they age. Testosterone deficiencies cause some to experience similar symptoms to menopause, including energy loss, diminished libido, memory loss and night sweats.
But while the condition may be more pronounced in women undergoing hormonal changes, male symptoms are often much more gradual.
Erectile dysfunction is one common indicator - a condition some men are embarrassed to get checked out.
Others are hesitant to believe they might be undergoing andropause at all, according to Dr. Malcolm Carruthers, who runs the Centre for Men’s Health.
“Testosterone deficiency syndrome is a common and serious condition that is not being diagnosed or treated,” the New York Daily News quoted him as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing