Male menopause really does exist
New York: Menopause is not limited to women, it hits men too, say researchers.
Scientists at the Centre for Men’s Health in London say that women aren`t the only ones who have to worry about shifting hormones wrecking havoc as they age, men also suffer from andropause - a menopause-like condition – as they get older.
They found that 20 percent of the 10,000 men over 50 were affected by a hormonal imbalance, according to the Daily Mail.
Much like the fairer sex, men experience dips in hormone levels as they age. Testosterone deficiencies cause some to experience similar symptoms to menopause, including energy loss, diminished libido, memory loss and night sweats.
But while the condition may be more pronounced in women undergoing hormonal changes, male symptoms are often much more gradual.
Erectile dysfunction is one common indicator - a condition some men are embarrassed to get checked out.
Others are hesitant to believe they might be undergoing andropause at all, according to Dr. Malcolm Carruthers, who runs the Centre for Men’s Health.
“Testosterone deficiency syndrome is a common and serious condition that is not being diagnosed or treated,” the New York Daily News quoted him as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'