Marijuana has therapeutic effects: Study
Washington: A new study has found that smoking marijuana has therapeutic effects.
Experts at the University of California`s Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research (CMCR) claim they have found "reasonable evidence that cannabis is a promising treatment" for some specific, pain-related medical conditions.
CMCR director, Igor Grant, MD, Executive Vice-Chair of the Department of Psychiatry at the UCSD School of Medicine, said: "We focused on illnesses where current medical treatment does not provide adequate relief or coverage of symptoms.
“These findings provide a strong, science-based context in which policy makers and the public can begin discussing the place of cannabis in medical care."
The researchers have completed five scientific clinical trials, with more in progress.
All these studies show that cannabis can be helpful in easing pain in selected syndromes caused by injury or diseases of the nervous system and possibly for painful muscle spasms due to multiple sclerosis.
Senator John Vasconcellos, original author of The Medical Marijuana Research Act of 1999 (SB847), which led to the creation of the CMCR, said:
"These scientists created an unparalleled program of systematic research, focused on science-based answers rather than political or social beliefs."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice