Marijuana world`s top illegal drug used, study says
Washington: Marijuana is the most popular illegal drug used worldwide, according to the first-ever global survey of illicit drug abuse.
The study revealed that despite Marijuana being the most popular drug, addictions to popular painkillers like Vicodin, Oxycontin and codeine kill the most people.
In addition to cannabis and opioid painkillers, scientists analyzed abuse of cocaine and amphetamines in 2010, largely based on previous studies.
According to a news website, the researchers found that for all the drugs studied, men in their 20s had the highest rates of abuse.
The study, which was published online in the journal, Lancet, revealed that the worst-hit countries were Australia, Britain, Russia and the U.S.
Theo Vos, of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, the study`s senior author, said that people tended to abuse drugs produced close to home: cocaine in North America, amphetamines and opioids in Asia and Australia.
The lowest rates of drug abuse were in Asia and Africa.
According to the report, Vos said countries with harsh laws against drugs had worse death rates for addicts when compared to countries who relied on other policies to wean people off drugs, such as needle exchange programs and methadone clinics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Have undertaken 'maximum' reforms, enormous task ahead: PM Narendra Modi
- Watch: Sun-powered Solar Impulse 2 lands in Pennsylvania!
- Indian Premier League 2016, Qualifier 2: Gujarat Lions vs Sunrisers Hyderabad — Preview
- Beware, workaholics: Excessive working may elevate depression, anxiety
- Sidharth, Alia perfect for 'Aashiqui 3': Mukesh Bhatt