Mass polio vaccination in Syria, region
Geneva: A week after the Middle East declared a polio emergency, a large-scale immunisation response in the region is under way.
The move aims to vaccinate over 20 million children in seven countries and territories, Xinhua cited the World Health Organization (WHO) as saying Friday.
The seven countries and territories in the consolidated emergency response to the polio outbreak include Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, the West Bank and Gaza, Syria and Turkey.
It said the immunisation campaign inside Syria, which is targeting 1.6 million children to prevent transmission of polio and other preventable diseases, has vaccinated more than 650,000 children, including 116,000 in Deir al-Zour province where the polio outbreak was confirmed a week ago.
The first polio outbreak in Syria since 1999, it has so far left 10 children paralysed, and poses a risk of paralysis to hundreds of thousands of children across the region.
Preliminary evidence indicates that the polio virus is of Pakistani origin and is similar to the strain detected in Egypt, Israel, the West Bank and Gaza Strip over the last 12 months, according to the WHO.
The UN Children's Fund (Unicef) said it has procured 1.35 billion doses of oral polio vaccine (OPV) to date in 2013 and by the end of the year will have procured up to 1.7 billion doses to meet increased demand.
The new outbreak in Syria is adding further pressure to the supply of OPV but WHO, UNICEF and manufacturers are working to secure sufficient quantities to reach all children, it said.
The largest ever consolidated immunisation response to polio virus circulation in the region includes plans for a six-month sustained effort of intense immunisation activity.
UN agencies also have suggested strengthening of disease surveillance until the global eradication of polio, and to find cases which may have been missed in an environment which was until recently polio-free.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM