Math anxiety `can cause pain`
Washington: Fear of mathematics can activate regions of the brain linked with the experience of physical pain and visceral threat detection, researchers say.
Ian Lyons and colleagues from the University of Chicago found that in individuals who experience high levels of anxiety when facing math tasks, the anticipation of math increases activity in regions of the brain associated with the physical sensation of pain.
The higher an individual’s math anxiety, the more such neural activity was increased.
“We provide the first neural evidence indicating the nature of the subjective experience of math-anxiety,” the researchers said.
Previous research has shown that other forms of psychological stress like social rejection or a traumatic break-up can also elicit feelings of physical pain.
However, the current study examines the pain response associated with anticipating an anxiety-provoking event rather than the pain associated with a stressful event itself.
The new study suggests that simply anticipating an unpleasant event may be associated with the activation of neural regions involved in processing physical pain.
According to the authors of the study, their results indicate that it is not the performance of a mathematical task that elicits this reaction, but merely the anticipation of math.
These results provide a potential neural basis for the observation that individuals with high math anxiety tend to avoid math-related situations, including avoiding classes or math-related careers.
The study has been published in the journal PLOS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone