Math anxiety `can cause pain`
Washington: Fear of mathematics can activate regions of the brain linked with the experience of physical pain and visceral threat detection, researchers say.
Ian Lyons and colleagues from the University of Chicago found that in individuals who experience high levels of anxiety when facing math tasks, the anticipation of math increases activity in regions of the brain associated with the physical sensation of pain.
The higher an individual’s math anxiety, the more such neural activity was increased.
“We provide the first neural evidence indicating the nature of the subjective experience of math-anxiety,” the researchers said.
Previous research has shown that other forms of psychological stress like social rejection or a traumatic break-up can also elicit feelings of physical pain.
However, the current study examines the pain response associated with anticipating an anxiety-provoking event rather than the pain associated with a stressful event itself.
The new study suggests that simply anticipating an unpleasant event may be associated with the activation of neural regions involved in processing physical pain.
According to the authors of the study, their results indicate that it is not the performance of a mathematical task that elicits this reaction, but merely the anticipation of math.
These results provide a potential neural basis for the observation that individuals with high math anxiety tend to avoid math-related situations, including avoiding classes or math-related careers.
The study has been published in the journal PLOS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- US flight from New Orleans to Orlando makes emergency landing after engine fails
- WATCH! Dwayne Bravo bowls last ball of the match to MS Dhoni – This is what happened next
- 12 coaches of Thiruvananthapuram-Mangalore train derail in Kerala
- Hilarious: Sonakshi Sinha trolls Air India pilot on Snapchat! - Know why
- Curfew, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley for 51st day