Maths can help kill cancer cells
Washington: Advanced mathematical modelling can be used in the fight against cancer, a new research has revealed.
A research conducted by University of Ottawa`s Faculty of Medicine has found a technique that predicts how different treatments and genetic modifications might allow cancer-killing, oncolytic viruses to overcome the natural defences that cancer cells use to stave off viral infection.
Lead author Dr. Bell and co-author Dr. Mads Kaern led a team that has used mathematical modelling to devise strategies for making cancer cells exquisitely sensitive to virus infection while killing them without affecting normal, healthy cells.
The researchers have established a mathematical model that described an infection cycle, including the way a virus replicated, spread and activated cellular defense mechanisms.
From there, they used knowledge about key physiological differences between normal cells and cancer cells to identify how modifying the genome of the virus might counter the anti-viral defenses of cancer cells.
The study was published in Nature Communications.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!