Mature liver cells can turn into stem cells!
New York: Liver is known to regenerate itself, but can liver cells be reverted to a stem-cell like state? Yes, researchers say.
The finding can pave the way for liver cells transplant to cure genetic liver disorders.
Researchers at the Harvard Stem Cell Institute, led by Fernando Camargo, stumbled upon this fact while investigating whether a biochemical cascade called "Hippo", which controls how big the liver grows, also affects the cell's fate.
"I think this study highlights the tremendous plasticity of mature liver cells," said Camargo, an associate professor at Harvard University's department of stem cell and regenerative biology.
The researchers found that switching off the Hippo-signalling pathway in mature liver cells generates very high rates of dedifferentiation.
This means the cells turn back the clock to become stem-cell like again, thus allowing them to give rise to functional progenitor cells that can regenerate a diseased liver.
Even if three-quarters of a liver is surgically removed, duplication alone could return the organ to its normal functioning mass.
This new research indicates that there is a second mode of regeneration that may be repairing constant liver damage.
"It is not that you have a very small population of cells that can be recruited to an injury. Almost 80 percent of liver cells can undergo this cell fate change," Camargo added.
"The next step," Camargo said, "would be to figure out how Hippo's activity changes in cells affected by chronic liver injury or diseases such as hepatitis."
In the long term, this work could lead to drugs that manipulate the Hippo activity of mature liver cells in patients to spur dedifferentiation and hasten healing.
It might also be possible to control Hippo signalling to grow countless liver progenitor cells in a laboratory dish for transplant.
The findings were published in the journal Cell.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference