Measles alert in Texas
Washington, Aug 19 (IANS) Health authorities in the US state of Texas have issued a measles alert due to a sharp increase in the number of cases this year.
About a dozen people have been confirmed to have measles in Texas so far this year, Xinhua cited the Houston Chronicle as saying.
Texas had reported six cases of measles in 2011, while there were no cases in 2012.
Given the alarming rise, health officials urged immunization and asked health care providers to watch out for potential exposure and patients with measles symptoms.
Measles spreads through contact with an infected person, through coughing and sneezing. Symptoms include fever, cough, runny nose and red eyes. The disease is highly contagious.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living