Memory training can overcome forgetfulness
Washington: If you can`t recall where you have placed your car keys or reading glasses, chances are that memory training could help.
Memory training can even re-engage the hippocampus, part of the brain critical for memory formation, according to the findings by the Emory University School of Medicine, which is conducting studies into mild cognitive impairment (MCI).
MCI is meant to identify those at increased risk of Alzheimer`s disease. Such people have difficulty forming new memories but are still able to handle daily tasks, because of impaired function in brain parts including the hippocampus, the journal Hippocampus reports.
Researchers at Emory and Atlanta Veterans Medical Center have been investigating memory-building strategies for people with MCI. The techniques used in the study were known to be effective for healthy people, but it has been uncertain how they could affect brain function in people with MCI.
"Our results suggest that these strategies can help patients remember specific information, such as the locations of objects," says Benjamin Hampstead, neuropsychologist and assistant professor of rehabilitation medicine at Emory, according to an Emory statement.
"This is the first randomized controlled trial to show that these techniques are not only effective in MCI patients, but that they can also re-engage the hippocampus, which is a brain region that is critical for forming new memories," said Hampstead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened