Men more prone to brain tumors than women
Washington: A new study has explained why brain tumors occurred more often in males and regularly are more damaging than similar tumors in females.
The new research at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis recognized that retinoblastoma protein (RB), a protein known to lessen cancer risk, is significantly less active in male brain cells than in female brain cells.
Senior author Joshua Rubin, MD, PhD asserted that this was the first time anyone ever had identified a sex-linked difference that affected tumor risk and was essential to cells, and that was very exciting and these results suggested that they need to go back and look at multiple pathways linked to cancer, checking for sex differences.
Rubin said that male brain tumor risk remained higher throughout life despite major age-linked shifts in sex hormone production in males and females and if the sex hormones were causing this effect, the would see major changes in the relative rates of brain tumors in males and females at puberty but they did not happen then or later in life when menopause changed female sex hormone production.
Rubin added that there were other types of tumors that occurred at different rates based on sex, such as some liver cancers, which occur more often in males.
The study was published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read