Men who exercise `produce healthier semen`
Washington: In a new study, researchers have linked moderate physical activity in males with better hormone levels and sperm characteristics that favour reproduction as compared to sedentary men.
Semen quality at large has dropped in the last 50 years. Amongst other factors, this is due to exposure to external agents and alcohol and tobacco consumption. This decline in sperm properties has caused an increase in reproductive problems.
Therefore, experts from the University of Cordoba have studied the possible relationship between sperm quality and lifestyle habits in males.
The new study suggests that men who do moderate physical exercise have better hormone levels and their gonads undergo healthier spermatological processes.
The authors assessed whether there was a difference in the hormonal and seminoligical profiles of physically active and sedentary males.
“We have analysed qualitative semen parameters like the ejaculated volume, sperm count, mobility and sperm morphology,” Diana Vaamonde, lead author of the study, told SINC.
In addition, an evaluation was made of the follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), the luteinising hormone (LH), testosterone (T), cortisol (C) and the T/C ratio. This offers additional information on the environment needed for the sperm creation process as well as the anabolic or catabolic state of the body.
“Despite the fact that the sample population is not very big (31 men), given the complexity of the analysis, this is the first study that assessed the differences between these parameters in both populations,” Vaamonde said.
The results conclude that the physically active subjects display better semen values. More specifically, the differences found were in the seminological parameters of total progressive velocity and morphology, in the FSH, LH and T hormones and in the T/C ratio.
Hormone data thus supports the hypothesis of a more favourable environment for sperm formation.
The study has been published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning