Men`s personalities can reveal how many kids they have
Washington: Men with open, outgoing personalities may have more offspring, a new study has revealed.
For their research, anthropologists at UC Santa Barbara studied over 600 adult members of the Tsimane, an isolated indigenous population in central Bolivia.
Lead author Michael Gurven , UCSB professor of anthropology, said that the idea that they are funneled into a relatively fixed way of interacting with the world is something we take for granted.
He said that some people are outgoing and open, others are more quiet and introverted but from an evolutionary standpoint, it doesn't really make sense that humans' dispositions differ so much, and are not more flexible.
Gurven and his team wanted to examine the personality measures they had on the Tsimane adults and determine what consequences might result from one personality over another.
He said that considering the evolutionary adaptiveness of a trait like personality can be problematic in modern developed societies because of the widespread use of contraception.
Gurven asserted that in all animals - including humans - the better condition you're in, the more kids you have. And for humans in more traditional environments, like the Tsimane, the higher your status, the better physical condition you're in, the earlier you might marry, and the higher reproductive success you're likely to have.
The Tsimane present a favourable test group because their subsistence ecology is similar to the way people in developed countries lived for millennia.
Gurven said that it's a high fertility population -- the average woman has nine births over her lifetime -- and a ripe kind of population for trying to look at personality.
The study has been published online in the journal Evolution and Human Behaviour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?