Mentally ill man chained to bed for 12 years
Churu (Rajasthan): Unable to pay for his treatment, and receiving no help from the government, the family of a mentally-challenged 33-year-old man in Rajasthan`s Churu district has kept him chained to a bed for more than 12 years now.
The victim, Arif Kaji, is a resident of Sunjagarh town in the district, some 350 kilometres from state capital Jaipur.
Arif lost his mental balance at the age of 21, after a prolonged illness. Arif was married and had three children by then.
For the past 12 years, he has been living tied to an iron chain in a dark corner of his house, and receives no treatment.
Rubeena, his wife, says Arif would suddenly turn violent and start throwing things out in a fit of rage.
"If he is kept free, he throws stones even at neighbours and shouts at them. I am his wife and it hurts a lot to see him chained like this, but this is the only way for me to keep him under control," Rubeena told IANS, adding that her husband suffers from hallucinations.
Rubeena said she had sought medical help from doctors in her town and nearby places, but the condition of her husband did not improve.
"People say I should get him treated at a specialised hospital in a bigger city, but my money has now dried up and I don`t know whom to approach," Rubeena said, explaining that she had taken her husband to public grievances camps organised by the district administration several times, but received no financial help.
"I am forced to work as a labourer to look after my three children and husband. The income is not enough to send the children to school," Rubeena said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened