Mexico tackles record child obesity
Mexico City: Mexico`s rich diet of tacos, tortillas and tortas (large sandwiches), which is jokingly nicknamed "Vitamin T," has steered its children to the top of world obesity charts.
The concerned government last week launched a new campaign to battle obesity, which it estimates to cost the health system some 3.2 billion dollars per year.
"Obesity and excess weight are one of the biggest health challenges that Mexico is facing today," President Felipe Calderon said as he introduced the national public-private plan to improve eating habits, mainly among children.
Nine-year-old Diego attends a school in a middle-class neighbourhood of Mexico City, and he said the food was healthier than it was three years ago, when there were many fried dishes made from corn.
But he added that they still sell "quesadillas" -- rolled corn pancakes filled with cheese and sometimes fried in fat -- as well as popcorn layered in butter and sugar-filled drinks.
There was only one and a half hours per week of physical exercise, he added.
"And that`s only when the teacher comes, which is not all the time, and sometimes we`re punished and we don`t go outside."
Calderon admitted that Mexico had the highest amount of overweight adults in the world, which means a Body Mass Index (a statistical measure that compares weight and height) of more than 25.
Its children had the highest rates in the world for obesity, which means a BMI of more than 30.
The president deplored that Mexico spent 3.24 billion dollars to treat illnesses linked to excess weight and obesity in 2009, such as diabetes, which is the number one cause of death in the country.
The new plan is based on a French project known as EPODE, which has shown success at reducing child obesity through physical activities, weight monitoring and promoting drinking water and eating fruit and vegetables.
Food and drink advertising in Mexico is already supposed to promote healthy eating and exercise, but the requirement is often ignored.
And the battle against obesity is not easy here, where street vendors outside schools across the country sell vast selections of brightly-coloured sweets and enticing fried foods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced