Micro Labs makes tablet to treat low sugar
Bangalore: Healthcare firm Micro Labs Ltd Thursday unveiled a dextrose drug Hypotab to treat low blood sugar in diabetic patients.
"Hypotab is meant for type two diabetes patients who suddenly face hypoglycaemia (low sugar) in the body and those who take insulin, which makes them prone to develop the symptom," Micro Labs vice-president B.R. Srinath told reporters here at a preview of the drug.
Priced at Rs.7 per strip of four tablets, the carbohydrate drug, to be bought only on prescription by a qualified doctor, will restore normal blood glucose levels in diabetic patients soon after it is consumed.
"Hypotab is the first standardised therapy to treat low blood sugar and manufactured using the advanced technology of AbMax Biotechnology Co Ltd in China, as it offers 20 micron particle size for faster absorption in the body and gives quick relief," said Srinath.
The city-based pharma firm has invested Rs.5.5 crore to set up the drug plant in Puducherry, with an installed capacity of one million tablets per month.
The Rs.1,646-crore company is targeting Rs.4.2 crore revenue in this fiscal (2012-13) from Hypotab, Rs.12 crore in next fiscal (2013-14) and Rs.24 crore in 2014-15, as the market for treating low sugar remains untapped.
According to a company study, of the Rs.3,800-crore diabetic care market across the country, oral hypoglycaemic agents like candies, sugar cubes, honey, etc., account for Rs.2,800 crore.
"Of the estimated 62 million diabetic patients in India, 25 percent of them are prone to suffer low sugar due to various factors, including stress, lack of discipline in maintaining diet, timely intake of food, obesity and lack of exercise," observed noted diabetologist Vijay Viswanathan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow