Micro Labs makes tablet to treat low sugar
Bangalore: Healthcare firm Micro Labs Ltd Thursday unveiled a dextrose drug Hypotab to treat low blood sugar in diabetic patients.
"Hypotab is meant for type two diabetes patients who suddenly face hypoglycaemia (low sugar) in the body and those who take insulin, which makes them prone to develop the symptom," Micro Labs vice-president B.R. Srinath told reporters here at a preview of the drug.
Priced at Rs.7 per strip of four tablets, the carbohydrate drug, to be bought only on prescription by a qualified doctor, will restore normal blood glucose levels in diabetic patients soon after it is consumed.
"Hypotab is the first standardised therapy to treat low blood sugar and manufactured using the advanced technology of AbMax Biotechnology Co Ltd in China, as it offers 20 micron particle size for faster absorption in the body and gives quick relief," said Srinath.
The city-based pharma firm has invested Rs.5.5 crore to set up the drug plant in Puducherry, with an installed capacity of one million tablets per month.
The Rs.1,646-crore company is targeting Rs.4.2 crore revenue in this fiscal (2012-13) from Hypotab, Rs.12 crore in next fiscal (2013-14) and Rs.24 crore in 2014-15, as the market for treating low sugar remains untapped.
According to a company study, of the Rs.3,800-crore diabetic care market across the country, oral hypoglycaemic agents like candies, sugar cubes, honey, etc., account for Rs.2,800 crore.
"Of the estimated 62 million diabetic patients in India, 25 percent of them are prone to suffer low sugar due to various factors, including stress, lack of discipline in maintaining diet, timely intake of food, obesity and lack of exercise," observed noted diabetologist Vijay Viswanathan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?