Millions of Chinese condoms exported to Ghana found faulty
Beijing: Millions of condoms exported from China to Ghana has been found to be faulty and substandard, forcing the Chinese manufacturer to send a team to the African country to investigate.
Seven batches of "Be Safe" condoms from the Henan Xibei Latex Co Ltd in Henan Province exported to Ghana were found to be substandard, official media here quoted a Ghana news agency report.
They were riddled with holes and not properly lubricated, Ghana`s food and drug administration was quoted.
Users were, therefore, at risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases including HIV/AIDS and having unwanted pregnancies, the state run Shanghai Daily reported.
"This is a huge, huge problem," Faustina Fynn-Nyame, director of `Marie Stopes International` in Ghana said.
"There will be a lot of unintended pregnancies as a result of this, and that means maternal mortality and unsafe abortion.
The Ghanian officials said that they had issued a safety alert and seized about 110 million condoms which were distributed free as part of an HIV/AIDS prevention campaign by the Ghana Health Service.
The condoms were traced back to Xibei in China, even though the packaging on the consignment did not have the manufacturer`s name and address and had only an inscription - `Manufactured in China`.
In a statement, Xibei said it had just exported 25 million condoms to Ghana via a Kenya middleman and all its products had been tested as safe and qualified before being being exported.
The company hadn`t received any complaints about quality from the buyer.
Three of its officials have flown to Ghana to investigate the current claims, it said.
Meanwhile, the Henan food and drug authority has ordered the company to suspend sale of condoms while official tests are carried out.
Founded in 2003, Xibei produces an average of 300 million condoms a year, mainly for Ghana, Vietnam, Kenya, Bangladesh and other countries.
It has been providing condoms to Ghana`s health service since 2009,the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India