Mindfulness helps women deliver healthier babies
Washington: First-time pregnant women who heed their own emotional and physical changes, tend to give birth to healthier babies than others who don`t, according to a latest research.
"These findings continue more than 40 years of research that has made clear that whether you are mindless or mindful makes a big difference in every aspect of your health and well-being - from competence to longevity," said Ellen Langer, professor of psychology at Harvard University and a pioneer in researching mindfulness.
For Langer`s recent study, researchers trained women pregnant with their first child in mindfulness with instructions to notice subtle changes in their feelings and physical sensations each day, she said, according to a university statement.
When compared with two other groups of first-time pregnant mothers, who did not have the mindfulness training, these women reported more well-being and positive feelings and less emotional distress.
"They had higher self-esteem and life satisfaction during this period of their pregnancy and up to at least a month after birth," Langer said. "And this also had a positive impact on their deliveries and overall health of the newborns."
Teaching mindfulness through attention to variability may be helpful for many disorders, including asthma, depression and learning disabilities, to name a few, according to Langer.
Author of the popular books `Mindfulness`, `The Power of Mindful Learning`, `On Becoming an Artist: Reinventing Yourself Through Mindful Creativity` and most recently `Counterclockwise: Mindful Health and the Power of Possibility`, Langer is known for her work on the illusion of control, aging, decision-making and mindfulness theory.
These findings will be presented at American Psychological Association`s 120th Annual Convention at Orange County.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks