Mindfulness helps women deliver healthier babies
Washington: First-time pregnant women who heed their own emotional and physical changes, tend to give birth to healthier babies than others who don`t, according to a latest research.
"These findings continue more than 40 years of research that has made clear that whether you are mindless or mindful makes a big difference in every aspect of your health and well-being - from competence to longevity," said Ellen Langer, professor of psychology at Harvard University and a pioneer in researching mindfulness.
For Langer`s recent study, researchers trained women pregnant with their first child in mindfulness with instructions to notice subtle changes in their feelings and physical sensations each day, she said, according to a university statement.
When compared with two other groups of first-time pregnant mothers, who did not have the mindfulness training, these women reported more well-being and positive feelings and less emotional distress.
"They had higher self-esteem and life satisfaction during this period of their pregnancy and up to at least a month after birth," Langer said. "And this also had a positive impact on their deliveries and overall health of the newborns."
Teaching mindfulness through attention to variability may be helpful for many disorders, including asthma, depression and learning disabilities, to name a few, according to Langer.
Author of the popular books `Mindfulness`, `The Power of Mindful Learning`, `On Becoming an Artist: Reinventing Yourself Through Mindful Creativity` and most recently `Counterclockwise: Mindful Health and the Power of Possibility`, Langer is known for her work on the illusion of control, aging, decision-making and mindfulness theory.
These findings will be presented at American Psychological Association`s 120th Annual Convention at Orange County.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’