Mixing energy drinks with alcohol risky
London: A new study has revealed that mixing alcohol with energy drinks could put drinkers at risk, leaving them badly dehydrated and possibly leading to vomiting, nausea, and other health problems in the long term.
The study by charity Alcohol Concern also warned that caffeine in energy drinks can mask the effects of alcohol and make drinkers less aware of how drunk they are.
“Both caffeine and alcohol are diuretics, they cause the body to pass water, so mixing energy drinks with alcohol can leave drinkers badly dehydrated, possibly leading to vomiting, nausea, and other health problems in the long term,” the Mirror quoted Andrew Misell, of Alcohol Concern, as saying.
“What’s more dangerous, perhaps, is that the stimulant effect of so much caffeine can mask the depressant effect of the alcohol.
“People drinking energy drinks with alcohol may feel very alert and not realise how drunk they are. One possible result of this is that drinkers will take more risks,” he stated.
According to the charity, a study in the USA found that students drinking alcohol mixed with energy drinks were four times more likely to intend to drive compared with drinkers who had consumed alcohol without energy drinks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview