Mixing energy drinks with alcohol risky
London: A new study has revealed that mixing alcohol with energy drinks could put drinkers at risk, leaving them badly dehydrated and possibly leading to vomiting, nausea, and other health problems in the long term.
The study by charity Alcohol Concern also warned that caffeine in energy drinks can mask the effects of alcohol and make drinkers less aware of how drunk they are.
“Both caffeine and alcohol are diuretics, they cause the body to pass water, so mixing energy drinks with alcohol can leave drinkers badly dehydrated, possibly leading to vomiting, nausea, and other health problems in the long term,” the Mirror quoted Andrew Misell, of Alcohol Concern, as saying.
“What’s more dangerous, perhaps, is that the stimulant effect of so much caffeine can mask the depressant effect of the alcohol.
“People drinking energy drinks with alcohol may feel very alert and not realise how drunk they are. One possible result of this is that drinkers will take more risks,” he stated.
According to the charity, a study in the USA found that students drinking alcohol mixed with energy drinks were four times more likely to intend to drive compared with drinkers who had consumed alcohol without energy drinks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials