Morning cigarette does most harm
Washington: Smokers who are inclined to take a few puffs soon after waking up may face an increased risk of developing lung, head and neck cancers than smokers who do it later.
Joshua Muscat, from the Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, and colleagues investigated whether early morning puffing boosts smokers` risk of lung and head and neck cancers.
"These smokers have higher levels of nicotine and possibly other tobacco toxins in their body, and they may be more addicted than smokers who refrain from smoking for a half hour or more," said Muscat.
The lung cancer analysis included 4,775 lung cancer cases, all of whom were regular cigarette smokers, according to Penn State statement.
Compared with those who smoked more than 60 minutes after waking, those who smoked 31 to 60 minutes after waking were 1.31 times more likely to develop lung cancer, and those who smoked within 30 minutes were 1.79 times more likely to develop lung cancer.
The head and neck cancer analysis included 1,055 head and neck cancer cases and 795 controls, all with a history of cigarette smoking.
Compared with individuals who smoked more than 60 minutes after waking up, individuals who smoked 31 to 60 minutes after waking were 1.42 times more likely to develop head and neck cancer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Uber and Ola accused by Karnataka of violating rules, vehicles seized
- Will free jailed Pakistan doctor who tracked Osama bin Laden: Donald Trump
- Federation Cup National Athletics: Lalita Babar sets national mark, Sudha Singh joins her in 2016 Rio Olympics 3000m steeple
- Delhi Speaker nominates 13 AAP MLAs as members of civic bodies
- Sharad Pawar endorses Nitish Kumar as face of united oppn, Congress stays mum