`Most US public swimming pools contain poop bacteria`
New York: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has warned US citizens that public swimming pool is filled with fecal matter.
The researchers from CDC collected water samples from filters at 160 indoor and outdoor pools around Atlanta, and found traces of feces in nearly 60 percent of them, demonstrated by the presence of E. coli bacteria.
The agency said that the E. coli bacteria enters the pool when swimmers "have a fecal incident" or when they fail to properly clean themselves before entering the pool, the New York Daily News reported.
However, none of the samples had E. coli O157:H7, the strain that is responsible for many cases of foodborne illness.
Other things that were found in the pool were pseudomonas aeruginosa that caused skin rashes and ear infections, and to a much lesser extent cryptosporidium and giardia, which cause diarrhoea.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living