Mother`s mental condition affects teenagers
Sydney: Teenagers whose mothers have mental health problems are likely to suffer behavioural problems, says a new study.
Using data from the Mater University Study of Pregnancy (MUSP), Belinda Lloyd from the University of Queensland (UQ) studied maternal mental health and its impact on children.
The MUSP is a study of more than 7,000 mothers and their children born at Brisbane`s Mater Hospital between 1981-83.
"Children whose mothers experienced mental health problems as their children grew older (during adolescence), had substantially elevated rates of the behavioural and mental health problems measured in the study," Lloyd said.
"Also, children whose mothers experienced recurrent mental health problems were significantly more likely to display behavioural and mental health problems.
"The impact of maternal mental health problems on children was found to vary, with the timing and recurrence of maternal anxiety and depression being important."
Lloyd said while there was a great deal of research and media interest surrounding postnatal depression, there had been less focus on the mental health of mothers over the course of child rearing.
Antenatal and postnatal depression alone were found to have no negative impact on children, a finding Lloyd hopes may help reduce the stigma surrounding the conditions.
"Self-doubt, feelings of guilt and social stigma could be alleviated knowing impaired maternal mental health is not necessarily going to compromise a child`s mental health and well-being into adolescence and beyond."
The study found mothers were more likely to experience mental health problems as their children became adolescents, a link which had not previously been adequately explored or documented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda