Mums-to-be with multiple sclerosis less likely to suffer complications
Washington: A new study has revealed that pregnant women with multiple sclerosis are at a modest risk of suffering complications or having caesarean deliveries.
They are less likely to have preeclampsia and other high blood pressure problems along with premature rupture of membranes, compared to women in the general population.
"These results are reassuring for women with MS," said study author Eliza Chakravarty, MD, MS, of Stanford University School of Medicine in Stanford, CA.
"Women and their doctors have been uncertain about the effect of MS on pregnancy, and some women have chosen to delay or even avoid pregnancy due to the uncertainty.
“We found that women with MS did not have an increased risk of most pregnancy complications," Chakravarty added.
Chakravarty said that previous studies on MS and pregnancy have focused on the impact of pregnancy on disease activity.
The new study also looked at women who had diabetes prior to becoming pregnant (not gestational diabetes), and found that they had higher rates of complications than women with MS and high rates of complications in areas where the women with MS did not have increased rates.
The study is published in Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!