Myth: Spray tan will stop skin cancer
London: A study has found that millions of people are putting themselves at risk of developing skin cancer, because they believe that a spray tan will protect them from getting sunburnt.
The study found that one in six women believe that a fake tan works like a sunscreen and nearly half think their foundation make-up provides them with protection from the sun’s harmful rays.
It was also revealed that one in 20 people think that only those with ginger hair or fair skin need to worry about covering up.
A report carried out by the screening service Moletestuk.com into how 3,000 Britons protected themselves from the sun this summer found that one in five women admitted buying or worrying about sun lotion only when they were abroad on holiday, with no provisions made for when they are at home.
As a result, nearly a quarter of Britons have a “suspicious” mole they fear might be cancerous, yet half say they have not sought any medical advice.
Seven percent of Britons say they never wear sun lotion, with 12 percent more worried about getting wrinkles than damaging their skin, and six percent say they are more concerned with not getting tan lines and marks from sunglasses.
“We commissioned this survey to see what the awareness of melanoma in the UK is, and it’s concerning that many people don’t think this can affect them,” the Daily Express quoted Bruce Murray, managing director of Moletestuk.com, as saying.
“It’s important people take the risk of sunbathing seriously and are aware that moles and melanoma can develop at any time,” he stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state