‘NACO merger with NRHM not insensitive’
New Delhi: The convergence of India`s AIDS control mission with the government`s flagship National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) is not going to be insensitive for the communities and the vulnerable sections involved, Planning Commission member Syeda Hameed said here Friday.
"The whole idea behind integration is not to do it in a ham-handed manner and reversing the AIDS control department`s achievements. We are not going to be insensitive to the needs of the vulnerable communities involved," said Hameed, head of the steering committee on health in the plan panel.
The steering committee for the 12th plan had proposed to the Commission to integrate the two-decade old National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) with the NRHM that functions across the country to provide basic healthcare delivery and strengthening community health structure. NACO, established with the mission of prevention, care and support of people living and affected by HIV, is under the ministry of health and family welfare.
The merger had raised apprehensions on the delivery of services to the marginalized communities affected by HIV-AIDS who are already facing the burden of stigma and discrimination. India has a population of around 2.5 million HIV positive, third largest across the globe.
Referring to the B.K Chaturvedi report on restructuring centrally-sponsored schemes, Hameed said the Plan panel will keep in minds the importance of the AIDS control schemes.
"We have been reminded again and again that there are a lot of centrally sponsored schemes with the same purpose on health. Some programmes of NACO are already taking place in convergence with NRHM and we will ensure the convergence is done in the right manner," she said.
The NACO is currently in the concluding phase of its national AIDS control programme (NACP) phase 3. NACP 4 has been rolled out April 1, the department says. While the NACO has adopted a work approach through communities, civil societies and government, the NRHM works on various vertices of disease control and prevention nationwide.
The three-day conference was organised by NACO in coordination with USAID, UNAIDS, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and other development partners with participation from 500 delegates from 25 states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM