Nearly 50 people die of cancer in Jalandhar every month:Survey
Jalandhar: Nearly 50 people die due to cancer every month in Jalandhar district of Punjab`s Doaba region, according to an ongoing survey of the state health department.
"We have completed 80 per cent of the survey. As per the latest data available, 2,955 people have lost their lives to cancer in past five years," said Shiv Dayal Mali, nodal officer in charge of the project.
"We have identified 1581 persons suffering from cancer and 7140 people with symptoms of cancer have also been identified," he added.
The survey, which began on December 1, has already covered more than three lakh homes.
"We will be having the full results in a few days time," he said.
Hundreds of cancer cases have been reported from villages located close to the highly polluted Chitti Bein (rivulet) in Doaba region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test