New approach to prevention of Alzheimer`s
London: A new research has shown that a little-studied amyloid peptide could play a greater role in promoting Alzheimer`s disease (AD), suggesting a potential role in new approaches for preventing AD-causing amyloidosis.
One hypothesis that has attracted widespread support proposes that AD is caused by the buildup of the senile plaques, and in particular of their main constituent, amyloid-ß peptides (Aß). Two major forms of Aß, Aß40 and Aß42, have been associated with genetic mutations causing early-onset AD, and have thus received considerable research attention.
In their current work, the researchers at the RIKEN Brain Science Institute focused on Aß43, an amyloid-ß peptide found just as often in patient brains as Aß42, but about which relatively little is known. To study the peptide`s role in AD, they generated mice with a mutation causing overproduction of Aß43, and used a highly sensitive system to distinguish between concentrations of Aß40, Aß42 and Aß43.
Their surprising results reveal that Aß43 is even more abundant in the brains of AD patients than Aß40, and more neurotoxic than Aß42. Aß43 also exhibits the highest propensity to aggregate and considerably accelerates amyloid pathology. Moreover, unlike the other two Aß species, which exist in human and mouse brains at birth, Aß43 levels appear to increase with age, consistent with the pattern of AD onset.
The findings thus reveal the possible value of Aß43 as a biomarker for diagnosis of AD and suggest a potential role in new approaches for preventing AD-causing amyloidosis, promising hope to AD sufferers around the world.
The study has been published in the journal Nature Neuroscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!