New breakthrough brings Muscular Dystrophy drug closer to reality
Washington: Researchers have revealed an atomic-level view of a genetic defect that causes a form of muscular dystrophy, myotonic dystrophy type 2.
The scientists from The Scripps Research Institute have used this information to design drug candidates with potential to counter those defects and reverse the disease.
"This the first time the structure of the RNA defect that causes this disease has been determined," lead author Matthew Disney said. "Based on these results, we designed compounds that, even in small amounts, significantly improve disease-associated defects in treated cells."
Myotonic dystrophy type 2 is a relatively rare form of muscular dystrophy that is somewhat milder than myotonic dystrophy type 1, the most common adult-onset form of the disease.
Both types of myotonic dystrophy are inherited disorders that involve progressive muscle wasting and weakness, and both are caused by a type of genetic defect known as a "RNA repeat expansion," a series of nucleotides repeated more times than normal in an individual's genetic code.
The repeat binds to the protein MBNL1, rendering it inactive and resulting in RNA splicing abnormalities-which lead to the disease.
Using information about the RNA's structure and movement, the scientists were able to design molecules to improve RNA function.
The new findings were confirmed using sophisticated computational models that show precisely how the small molecules interact with and alter the RNA structure over time.
Those predictive models matched what the scientists found in the study-that these new compounds bind to the repeat structure in a predictable and easily reproducible way, attacking the cause of the disease.
The study is published in journal ACS Chemical Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees