New `designer` dietary fibre may eliminate side-effects of IBS treatment
Washington: A newly-developed "designer" dietary fibre may eliminate the side effects of current treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
The designer dietary fibre with an added potential prebiotic effect can help reducing the side effects of the treatment for the syndrome which affects 10-20 percent of the population.
The research has developed a natural starch derived from a mixture of seaweed and starch in which the release of starch fibre in the gastrointestinal tract can be delayed, slowed and controlled to occur in the colon, rather than in the stomach and upper intestine.
Dr. Ece Mutlu said that this new product prevents the discomfort and bloating associated with current fibre therapies, while getting our new fibre into the colon and specifically distal colon where traditional fibre products typically do not reach and where many diseases of colon-like cancers develop.
She added that the product which is a result of the collaboration between a gastroenterologist at Rush and a carbohydrate chemist at Purdue University can provide an effective treatment for IBS, decrease the risk of colon cancer and possibly inflammatory diseases like colitis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof