New digital diaper monitors babies` health
New York: Diapers go digital! A new `smart` diaper that can detect possible urinary tract infections, kidney dysfunctions, and dehydration in babies has been developed in the US.
The product, developed by a New York start-up, is accompanied by a smartphone app that can transmit the information about baby`s health to a physician.
At the front of the diaper is a patch with several coloured squares. Each square represents a different interaction with a protein, water content or bacteria, and changes colour if it detects something is outside of normal parameters.
There is also a neutral white square, to more easily check for colour changes in the other squares, the `New York Times` reported.
A smartphone app takes a picture and can make precise readings of the chemical data based on colour changes. The data is uploaded to a central location, where physicians can get information about how the child is doing and whether the baby needs further testing.
The diaper is expected to be tested at Benioff Children`s Hospital of the University of California, San Francisco in September.
Yaroslav Faybishenko, Pixie Scientific`s founder said he thought the diaper, which he said would cost about 30 per cent more than regular diapers, had potential as a consumer product, for parents who want to keep regular tabs on their child`s health.
Rather than overwhelming parents with data, the app is likely to let them know whether they should see a pediatrician for one or more possible conditions, manufacturers said.
With the parents` permission, the detailed urine analysis data could be sent to a doctor`s office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan