New digital diaper monitors babies` health
New York: Diapers go digital! A new `smart` diaper that can detect possible urinary tract infections, kidney dysfunctions, and dehydration in babies has been developed in the US.
The product, developed by a New York start-up, is accompanied by a smartphone app that can transmit the information about baby`s health to a physician.
At the front of the diaper is a patch with several coloured squares. Each square represents a different interaction with a protein, water content or bacteria, and changes colour if it detects something is outside of normal parameters.
There is also a neutral white square, to more easily check for colour changes in the other squares, the `New York Times` reported.
A smartphone app takes a picture and can make precise readings of the chemical data based on colour changes. The data is uploaded to a central location, where physicians can get information about how the child is doing and whether the baby needs further testing.
The diaper is expected to be tested at Benioff Children`s Hospital of the University of California, San Francisco in September.
Yaroslav Faybishenko, Pixie Scientific`s founder said he thought the diaper, which he said would cost about 30 per cent more than regular diapers, had potential as a consumer product, for parents who want to keep regular tabs on their child`s health.
Rather than overwhelming parents with data, the app is likely to let them know whether they should see a pediatrician for one or more possible conditions, manufacturers said.
With the parents` permission, the detailed urine analysis data could be sent to a doctor`s office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Ban on large diesel vehicles a transient phase, says Jaitley
- Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya files for bail after NIA files fresh chargesheet
- Novak Djokovic poised to become first man to win $100 million in prize money
- Bihar Board class 10th results: More than 50 percent students fail in exams - Is this the reason?
- Tax holiday for start-ups should be raised to 7 years, says Commerce Minister